Family Immigration Lawyer in New York City
Helping You & Your Loved Ones with All Your Immigration Needs
The U.S. State Department provides two groups of family-based immigrant visas: immediate relatives (unlimited) and family preference categories (limited). A skilled family immigration attorney in New York City can give you well-informed advice and help guide you through each step of the immigration process.
Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas (Unlimited)
These visa types are based on a close family relationship with a United States (U.S.) citizen only described as an immediate relative (IR)*. The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year.
Immediate relative visa types include the following:
- IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. citizen;
- IR-2: Unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen;
- IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen;
- IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen; and
- IR-5: Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old.
Family Preference Immigrant Visas (Limited)
These visa types are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a lawful permanent resident (LPR). There are fiscal year numerical limitations on family preference immigrants, shown at the end of each category.
The family preference categories include the following:
- Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children, if any.
- Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs.
- Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children.
- Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age.
*Note: only direct relatives can be petitioner for the applicant(s). Grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and cousins cannot sponsor a relative for immigration.
Hundreds of Clients Helped with Over a Decade of Experience
Takes the Time to Listen & Understand Your Unique Situation
Constant Communication with Your Attorney
Work Directly with Your Attorney for the Entire Case
Weekend & In-Home Appointments Available
Focused on Long-Lasting Relationships with Clients